History

In 1975, the Peterborough chapter of the Canadian Hearing Society (CHS) was actively counseling and advocating on behalf of the Deaf and hard-of-hearing communities.  At that time, there were no community supports for those members of the population who were Deaf or hard-of-hearing and had developmental disabilities. With 11 individuals already residing in Peterborough, and another 30 to 40 still residing in institutions throughout Ontario, CHS began the process of advocating for specialized services for these people.

In 1977, the proposal to develop a residential program for people identified as Deaf or hard-of-hearing and living with developmental disabilities was approved, with the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS) providing 80% of the capital costs and the Civitan Club of Peterborough donating the remaining 20%.

On May 15th, 1978, Civitan Home, the first group home designed exclusively for individuals who were Deaf, hard-of-hearing, and living with developmental disabilities was established. A Board of Directors was formed and the Peterborough Hearing Handicapped Group Home Society (PHHGHS) was born.

Overtime, there was a growing awareness that non-verbal individuals could also benefit from sign language environments and other services offered by the agency, and we began to offer services to this group as well.

In 1991, PHHGHS was renamed as Peterborough Communication Support Systems (PCSS), and in 2018 adopted the name of Array Services.